Breast cancer is a deadly and scary disease. So it is natural that you want to know how to lower your risk of developing it.
At some point you may have heard of a connection between wearing bras and developing of breast cancer, however, there’s no direct link.
Here are some of the misconceptions among women regarding breast cancer:
Underwire and bad fitting bras cause cancer
- It is a popular myth that underwire and tightly fitting bras can cause tightness in the chest area which is then claimed to cause breast cancer.
- However this does not have an effect on the lymphatic system.
- Breast cancer mostly develops in the upper quadrant which is not covered by a bra.
- If there was a true association, there would be more cancer in the bra region. Hence, there is no proven link between wearing bras and the risk of breast cancer.
Sleeping in your bra or wearing your bra for too long can cause breast cancer
- According to this myth wearing your bra every night or for too long prevents your pores from being able to breathe.
- Sweat accumulates and toxins build up which are believed to cause breast cancer.
- The same misconception applies for wearing a bra which is extremely tight and constricts your chest.
- This myth has been refuted by leading cancer organizations.
What Does Lower your risk of Developing Breast Cancer?
So if you want to do what you can to lower the risk of developing breast cancer, experts recommend
- eating well,
- staying active,
- knowing your personal risk,
- doing regular self breast examination
- and being screened appropriately.
As for your bra, go ahead and keep on wearing it if that’s what makes you feel comfortable.
About Groceries For Health
Groceries for Health are a proud Inner Origin Advocate. Inner Origin products have been selected with care and follow strict guidelines to adhere to our philosophy.
This is a secure Australian site allowing you, the customer, to purchase the products and have them delivered direct to your door.
You shop, we pack and deliver.