Even though it is not a new concept, veganism is becoming trendier day-by-day and attracting a lot of attention. What does it mean to follow a vegan diet though?
Many people mistake veganism with vegetarianism. Veganism is not only a dietary choice but also comes with many lifestyle choices that exclude the consumption and usage of all types of animal products.
Veganism is the more stringent form of vegetarianism. Vegan diets strictly exclude not only meat, fish, and poultry but milk or any other dairy products as well. Is there any health benefit of such food habit? Let’s see:
- Exclusion of animal fats is one of the most advantageous features of vegan diets as animal fats contain a high level of cholesterol, that is why are associated with several types health conditions e.g. hypertension, high blood pressure, diabetes, cardiac diseases, etc.
- The risk of prostate and colorectal cancer is significantly higher in meat eaters than those who don’t consume meats. In addition, the vegan diet comprises fruits and vegetables that contain a higher level of fibres, vitamins, and minerals
- Your bone health completely depends on your intake of elements like calcium and phosphate that mostly comes from milk and other dairy products. However, that doesn’t mean vegan diets lack calcium. Figs, kale, black-eyed peas, spinach, and turnip greens are good sources of calcium. Besides, milk alternatives like soymilk, almond milk is becoming popular and widely available.
- The risk of obesity is much lower in the vegans than others on traditional diets. This is because your total calorie intake is much lower when you are on a vegan diet than that when you follow a standard diet. Not to mention, lower the risk of obesity lower the risk of cardiac health conditions.
- A number of studies reveal that vegan dietary habits can prevent and protect you from genetic chronic disease. Plant compounds can contribute in controlling genetic conditions like arterial plaque, cardiovascular disease, and tumour growth.
Chock-full of nutrients, a vegan diet can be a thoughtful choice as it eliminates the risk of numerous health conditions. In addition, fruits and vegetables contain a high amount of antioxidants which help you look fresh and feel energetic.
About Groceries For Health
Groceries for Health are a proud Inner Origin Advocate. Inner Origin products have been selected with care and follow strict guidelines to adhere to our philosophy.
This is a secure Australian site allowing you, the customer, to purchase the products and have them delivered direct to your door.
You shop, we pack and deliver.
Search our Vegan products – HERE