Juggling the nutritional needs for every family member and ensuring they receive healthy foods and appropriate portions can become quite overwhelming, so consider the following guidelines.
Start With Fruits and Vegetables
Children under three years of age should have two servings of fruits and vegetables each day; between ages four and eight these portions should be increased to three servings daily. Adults should have five servings of fruits and vegetables every day.
Consider these easy ways of adding good, healthy foods to your family’s diet –
- Add blueberries or sliced bananas to morning cereal.
- Have a smoothie for breakfast, lunch, or dessert.
- Ask for fruits and vegetables with your favourite foods, like broccoli with your pizza or topping pancakes with strawberries.
- Add lettuce, sprouts, and slices of cucumber and tomato to sandwiches.
Dairy, Grains, and Proteins
While fruits and vegetables are vital to a healthy diet, there are other food groups everyone needs to stay healthy –
- Dairy foods,
- Whole grains,
- Healthy fats, and
- Lean protein.
Limiting Sugar and Salt
Consider the following ways of limiting your family’s intake of sugar and salt –
- Limit processed and fast foods,
- Eliminate soda and all sweetened beverages, and
- Make your own frozen treats.
Every family member should be aware of their salt intake; excess salt in your diet can cause high blood pressure, leading to an increased risk of heart disease.
Consider making the following dietary changes to limit your salt intake –
- Choose frozen over canned foods, and
- Add fresh herbs when cooking and seasoning foods.
How to Transition to Healthy Nutrition For The Entire Family
- Cook more often: When you’re the chef it’s up to you how much salt, fat, sugar and other ingredients are added to your meals.
- Eat together: Families who eat together make better meal choices and develop healthier eating habits. These habits will continue when eating away from home.
- Have your pantry stocked with healthy snacks: Ensure you always have a range of healthy snack options.
- Involve the whole family in meal planning: Family members can take turns in choosing the menu and preparing meals.
- Watch portion sizes: When guilty pleasures are completely eliminated it simply makes you crave them more. Restrict these to special occasions and keep portion sizes small.
- Make gradual changes: Your family will accept gradual healthy changes made over time.
A Selection of Our Inner Origin Products
Pickld Tropical Curry Gourmet Blend 80g
Absolute Organic Red Kidney Beans 400g
EveryMite The Original Superspread 240g
Fairtrade Organic Mint Dark Chocolate 80g Chocolate and Love
Love Kitchen Australia Beetroot & Fennel Relish 260g
Life Cykel Cordyceps Double Extract 60ml
About Groceries For Health
Groceries for Health are a proud Inner Origin Advocate. Inner Origin products have been selected with care and follow strict guidelines to adhere to our philosophy.
This is a secure Australian site allowing you, the customer, to purchase the products and have them delivered direct to your door.
You shop, we pack and deliver.